Friday 16 March, 2007

San Fran #2

Back to the tales of hols. I packed so much into that 5 days in SF I can't remember what I did and when. Thank god I sent an email to my mates on the last day saying what I'd been doing. I have to keep referring back to it.

Anyway.

Monday was my day for shopping but not until I'd visited a couple more touristy bits. My first stop was the Civic Centre. I just took a couple of pics and soaked up the atmos really. It was early morning so not many people were about which was nice. Then I ventured onto the Muni to go to Japantown. I'd been given a Muni map when I checked into the hotel but I still managed to miss my stop by miles. I had to walk back to Japantown once I'd figured out where I was and the area was the kind of place you see on CSI and other cop shows. The type where you get gunned down in the street. Nice. Still, I made it to Japantown in one piece and had a mooch round the mall. I think I picked the wrong time to go. It was nice but ever so quiet and there didn't seem to be much to it. So I got another Muni back into the centre of town to do my gift shopping. Not much to tell there as I didn't really do very much. Popped into Macys for something for my mum, looked round a couple of book shops, Virgin Megastore etc. Now where the hell did I have lunch? Pfft! No idea. I'd planned to go and watch a film that night so I went to the cinema nearby to find out what was on. And then I found the Yerba Buena gardens next door which were really lovely.

Once I'd gone back to my hotel to drop off my stuff and chill out I went out to find a Thai restaurant I'd seen advertised in one of my tourist guides. God what an experience that was. It was a bit rough around the edges and I had to walk through the dodgiest streets to get there. I kept getting approached by dodgy blokes on the street. I was so intimidated. It was then I felt really alone. What the fuck was I doing going on holiday by myself? At least the food was good. And very cheap. I had a discount voucher too but didn't have the heart to use it.

Thankfully I wandered a different route to the cinema so it was much less scary. And I saw The Pursuit of Happyness which was a great film. I hadn't realised it was set in SF before I went to see it so it ended up being a very appropriate film to watch. At least, when I came out of the cinema I'd calmed down alot and the locals were slightly less intimidating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home