Sunday 26 December, 2004

Barftastic

I feel rather sick. We've had our xmas dinner earlier this evening and now I've just eaten a good portion of xmas pudding with brandy butter and extra thick double cream (so thick I could cut it with a knife) and I feel a tad ill. I'm not usually like this. I've been pacing myself all weekend, being good, not over stuffing myself but the lure of the pud was too much. And now I'm paying. Blech!

Xmas afternoon & evening was spent at my mum's best friend's house with several of her family. Which was a nice change since we usually spend these few days eating and watching telly and bugger all else. Last year I was bored to death so when my mum mentioned Mu's party I told her we absolutely had to go. We all took a few things with us. Bro made a batch of his Indian chilli which people loved but didn't eat enough of so we had to bring most of it home again (oh dear! ;-) ) and mum made some puds. My contribution was a few bottles of watermelon Bacardi Breezers. The kids were already arguing when we got there but their parents managed to bundle them away watching telly for a while so they were mostly tolerable. We played Trivial Pursuit in two very large teams which went on for absolutely ages. My team captain, one of the daughters of the hostess, was just a tad too competitive. My bro was on the opposite team and is a bit of a know-it-all so he kept getting answers right, much to the annoyance of Deb. "Welcome to my life!" I thought. They won in the end but the game had been going on so long that I really didn't care as long as we could stop and do something else. In my case, rediscovering my lust for our hostess's other daughter who suggested a game of 'pin the tail on the donkey' in which she was the donkey and I was the first contestant. I didn't quite know what to read into that one. AFAIK she doesn't know I'm a 'friend of kd' but we do have mutual friends who do.... Whatever her intentions it did fuel a saucy dream later that night so I'm not complaining. When we eventually left the do it had snowed so much that everything looked so festive and pretty and for once it actually felt like Christmas.

I also discovered two bits of info yesterday. Apparently our hostess and a friend both think I'm the spitting image of Margaret Lockwood. Now its been quite a while since I saw 'The Wicked Lady' so I've just spent a few minutes trawling the net for pics. There is a vague resemblance that I can't put my finger on but I wouldn't say I'm her double or anything. Its a very flattering thing for them to say anyway.

The other, more disturbing fact was that my mum had a miscarriage between having my brother and me - something she has never previously mentioned. It was just some throw-away comment in response to a discussion at the party regarding the large age gap between bro and me. I was stunned to say the least. How could she just tell everyone at a party like that but not mention it to her own flesh and blood? Its not the first time she's done such a thing. My mum was adopted, never made a secret of it, but the couple of times I mentioned it when I was a kid she refused to talk about it. So imagine my shock when at some function or other a few years ago she was merrily telling all to a virtual stranger while I was sat right next to her!

Anyway, I don't want to end this festive post on a downer so I'll just give you a quote from the episode of Dead Ringers I've just watched. "Hello, I'm Fiona Bruce and my knickers are made of mistletoe."

1 Comments:

Blogger Trinity said...

Mother's are funny creatures. Merry Christmas. Happy New Year. Actually Glad it's all over. I love the sales!
Ex cretin husband 0n his way over better get dressed!
Trin xxx

12:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home