Wednesday 22 December, 2004

Decisions...decisions...

Ooh look at popular old me! I've been invited to not one but two new years parties. One from the usual couple from the theatre and one from my brother's best mate. So, which one to go for? On the one hand, I won't know a huge amount of people at my bro's mate's party and I'll have to behave myself somewhat but any taxi fares will be halved with bro. On the other hand, the couple from the theatre throw quite good parties, I can be myself a bit more and I'll know everyone there but I'll be getting there on my own which either means an early bus or a bloody expensive taxi. I have been offered a lift home afterwards though by a lovely mate of mine (who doesn't drink). Or I could stay in but with no Most Haunted Live on what have I got to watch? Hmmmm. At the moment I'm edging towards joining the theatre crowd.

And after receiving little or no cards in the post for quite a while, I find a raft (slew? clutch?) of them behind the door when I get home. Well, four to be precise but who's counting?

Today at work I've discovered that there is a street in the North West called 'Lickers Lane' which amused me no end. I must go there and take a pic to send to Graham Norton. Or even better, steal the street sign. Bet no-one's ever done that before...

There is also a 'Mincing Lane' in Blackburn which also tickles my fancy. And a place called 'Buttock' near Burnley. Where do they get these names from? I guarantee you that any trawl of a British map will yield many a silly town name. In fact I live near a place called Nob End. No really. I once researched an article for a fanzine using a UK road atlas and my juvenile sense of humour. There was enough material for a book.

3 Comments:

Blogger Adriana said...

Oh the theatre crowd I think. Treat yourself to the cab home if the lift doesn't pay off. You'll have a marvellous time I'm sure.
I am juggling invites too. Ooh hark at me. Either way I won't be staying in, not because I have to go out on NYE but because by the time it comes round I'm itching to go out.
There is of course the infamous Pratt's Bottom. I must confess I have been known to read maps of GB just looking for silly names.
Happy New Year whatever you decide to do!

10:24 am  
Blogger Spaceminx said...

Happy new year to you too. I think I'll go for the theatre crowd option. I've also been invited for a curry & DVD night this thursday which will make a change.

8:51 pm  
Blogger Stephen said...

Oh, I think the theatre party - NYE is best with friends, if you are going to party. (Small people mean we'll be in with the Wicker Man).

On funny names - I live not too far from the village of Ugley - where there is a Women's Institute branch...

10:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home