Wednesday 26 August, 2009

Playing doctor

I don't normally watch alot of daytime tv. Oh shit, who am I kidding? Since I've been unemployed I've been subsisting on a diet of Homes Under the Hammer and repeats of Come Dine with me. But I don't watch alot of late afternoon tv like Murder She Wrote or Doctors. I'm usually out or surfing the net. We had Doctors on in the background today. I wasn't really paying much attention until it came to the storyline with two sons in the family business who were fighting like cat & dog and their put upon father who was trying to keep the peace. It all sounds unremarkable until I tell you that the family business is clowning and the two sons spent the entire episode in full clown costume and make-up. I found it a bit too forced at first. A comedy storyline shoe-horned in to lighten up the tone. Until it emerged that one of the clowns was called Winky. Poor Winky was the focus of his brother's bitterness because he was sick of his circumstances. Its good to know you can still get comedy mileage from naming someone after a child's euphemism for penis. And by god it worked. Hilarious. Especially the following exchange;

Son - "I want a better life!"
Dad - "So what, you blame Winky...?"

Yes. There's many a problem been caused by Winky.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Sounds a bit like Mark Gatiss in "Nebulous".

"I. Will. Not. Clown!"

And you're absolutely right. Pletny of room for winky gags even in this century :)

4:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home