Wednesday 6 July, 2005

A Dear Jayne letter

Dearest lovely Jayne Dearsley of SFX magazine,

You know I think you're fab and its high time there was a column from a female viewpoint in SFX. The lads have had it their way far too long. But, oh dear Jayne. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. "Why do so many women watch Stargate SG1?" you ask. Then you go on to say that its because of the abundance of male totty. I'm shaking my head in disappointment Jayne. Why? Because with that article you're just reaffirming all those stereotypes that the lads have of us. We only watch it for the beefcake. No, women could never watch it because its well written, funny, exciting, scary at times and doesn't take itself too seriously. Oh no. Women don't like SF per se, we just want to ogle the hunks in combats. We should just go back to watching our Sex and the City, Desperate Housewives and Celebrity Love Island and leave the boys alone with their spaceships and explosions. Well, ok, you didn't say that in so many words but you may as well have.

And then there's the assumption that all Stargate fans are straight... I for one would rather ogle the women in combats but actually that's not the only reason I watch.

Did the boys make you write that? I'm hoping you didn't mean everything you said in that article. That maybe it was satirical in some way.

Or maybe you wrote it to deliberately infuriate female readers, stir up a bit of controversy and get people writing in. If that's the case then there's nothing left for me to say but,

"You are Julie Burchill and I claim my five pounds!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Spaceminx,

Written to stir up some controversy?

Moi?

Too right.

J x


PS Neil Finn rules.

7:11 pm  
Blogger Spaceminx said...

Well, at least I'm five quid richer ;-)

Just watch those irate letters flood in...

S x

7:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home